The man behind Ursula 1000 is none other than the mild mannered, multi-instrumentalist Alex Gimeno. Based in New York City, Alex’s style evolved and transitioned from the sophisticated and hip background score provided by his father, a renowned member of the 50’s Latin orchestra, Los Chavales De Espana, to the heady rock, punk, disco, funk and electronic dance music of his generation. Alex smoothly moves back and forth between musical styles from the glamorous Jet Set era to frenetic electronica. Alex cannot be boxed in, categorized or labeled; his music is a multi-leveled eclectic blend of styles and genres. Finding a label to house this eclecticism could be tricky. Lo and behold came the smart and highly respected Eighteenth Street Lounge Music label, operated by Washington DC’s Thievery Corporation.
Keeping up with the jetsetting image, you can catch Ursula 1000 dj-ing his transcontinental grooves at discothèques worldwide and for fashionistas like Prada, Issey Miyake, Hugo Boss, Miss Sixty, Fiorucci, H&M, Diesel and Christian Dior. When in New York you can also catch him at his weekend residencies at the swank APT and the Soho Grand Lounge.
Or you simply listen to his Guilty Pleasures on Brooklyn Radio:
- Winter Paradise
- Shambhala 2014 Pagoda Set
- Ursula 1000 – Spring Sprung 2014 Mix
- Guilty Pleasures – Quentin Quatro’s Autumn 2013 Mix
- Guilty Pleasures – Oui Monsieur, J’aime à Boogie!
- Guilty Pleasures – Spacious & Soft Vol.1
- Guilty Pleasures – Madchester Baggy Beat MegaMix
- Guilty Pleasures – 45 Minutes Of 45 RPM Mod Funk
- Guilty Pleasures – Big Beat
- Guilty Pleasures – Psych 101
- Guilty Pleasures – Garage Punk Primer
- Guilty Pleasures – Weirdo Jukebox: Kooky & Funky